HOW TO: Play any VR Game With Full Locomotion on Omni! Arizona Sunshine Verified

Comments

• EVOLEVOL Posts: 194
    I don't know if that Oculusfix1.exe causes an issue I haven't tested it yet. However I wouldn't think it would be an issue.
  • Turns out you were right: it has to do with where I was pointing Touch -- everything is working fine now. What an immersive experience! I'll try to setup Kor-fx today after some sleep to see how that feels. Thanks again! You and everyone helping to make this better are awesome.
    Awesome glad you got it working I know its a pain to setup. However it is totally what the Omni should have always been. Some games have a choice of head or hand direction. Fallout 4 currently only supports hand direction. Once you get use to it it's better cause it allows decoupled movement.

Let me know how you like that Kor-fx, I might have to buy one.
  • Sure. Might take a little while; I put it in a box somewhere, and having trouble finding it.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 187
    EVOL said:

Awesome glad you got it working I know its a pain to setup. However it is totally what the Omni should have always been. Some games have a choice of head or hand direction. Fallout 4 currently only supports hand direction. Once you get use to it it's better cause it allows decoupled movement.

Let me know how you like that Kor-fx, I might have to buy one.

i have one. its great. once you start using it you wont VR without it
    Well I guess I have to have one now..
  • EVOL said:

Well I guess I have to have one now..

Also look at the Subpac(stationary and mobile), and the Woojer (strap and vest) as other choices for forcefeedback, I own a fallout themed subpac m2, pretty relevant now with fallout4VR :). I can confirm having that extra bit of tactility makes a big difference. Was interested in ZephyrVR, but they shuttered their kickstarter.
    I took one look at that ZephyrVR and knew it wasn't for me lol.. I have to draw the line somewhere I guess... :p
    No issue using subpac with Omni harness?
  • MrHmYesQuiteMrHmYesQuite Posts: 25
    edited December 2017
    My omni is still in its box, weeks of deliberation on where to put it in the house, it seems it has to go in my room, i'm going to lose roomscale completely or have it drastically reduced, which is a bummer, but so it goes, once it's built and I hop in with the subpac I'll let you know if it conflicts, I'm 5'11 with the medium harness, the subpac usually rests fairly high up on my back, and you can adjust how it sits via a few straps, loose or tight. The thing to find a place for might be the power box/audiomixer. I went to pax south and alienware had modded the subpac to be wireless, but not sure how easy that would be to do. I will get back to you probably by this weekend (goodbye roomscale), and let you know if it conflicts at all with the harness.
    edited December 2017
    I have a driving simulator with 8 buttkicker LFE units mounted to it. So I know about the benefits of tactile transducers. However I had my doubts these tiny ones were very effective. Mounted to the body I guess makes them much more efficient.
    edited December 2017
    Oh sorry about your loss.. The Omni is awesome for a lot of games played without teleporting and it's a great way to excercise. However so is Roomscale in the games designed for it. I lost a lot of my Roomscale space for my Omni units but I wouldn't be happy about giving it up completely. On the plus side the Omni isn't very difficult to break down to reclaim Roomscale if you desire.
  • On the higher settings it almost feels like what it feels like being at a concert standing in front of a big monitors, you get that sort of semi-hard to breath feeling, and you can feel your heart and lungs vibrate, it helps getting it as flush with your back as possible, the medium levels are pretty good for me, you forget you're even wearing it after a while, just becomes seamless. I think the woojer vest has front and back transducers instead of just one side like the subpac, but I've never tried it, and buying both at around the same price seemed a bit redundant. I would agree with the mounted to the body making them more efficient. That simulator sounds awesome :smiley:
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 446
    edited December 2017
    Finally found it and got it setup -- it does add something to the experience. I'm using OpenVR AdvancedSettings to mirror the audio from the Rift to the channel the Kor-Fx responds to to get it working. The amount of haptic feedback can be adjusted on the Kor-Fx itself or by adjusting the volume in the advanced settings. While mostly great, it does have the issue of if your hands and arms are in an outreach position, like when holding a gun in real life, the Kor-Fx does abstruct freedom of movement a little (just enough for you to know it's there). It uses four AAs, so I recommend getting some rechargeable as well.
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 446
    edited December 2017
    @EVOL Well, that was short-lived. The two "C" icons in the steam vr tray won't show up anymore, and the "hydra0_controller0 " option, along with the two two green messages when putting on the headset, is gone too. I tried going back to all the steps and making sure the files are where they are supposed to be and they are. Any advice would be great
    Well that sucks I'm sorry to hear that. Honestly I'm clueless to why it would work and then randomly stop working without any changes. I have had this setup on two machines for over a month with no issues. Maybe try to reboot if you haven't already.
  • My guess is Steam is doing something on its end (updating maybe). Just curious, what version of Windows are your two PCs running? 7 or 10?

I'm not giving up on this, playing Fallout 4 VR was too much fun! I'll try some other things, and if that doesn't work I did take your advice and backup my entire OS -- perfect copy and everything. I'll do that as a last resort and then going through the setup process again.
  • Finally got it working again. Had to uninstall and reinstall the hydra_driver_v1.0.1.15.msi and create the profile again, but it's working!
    Windows 10... Good luck!
    Awesome hope it doesn't happen again!
  • Thanks Evol would it be possible to get an email or some form of contact from you? My omni is sitting in pieces at the moment until I get a permanent setting in the room it will be in. I want to be sure that I'll have access to the tools when I have my omni back up and running.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 187
    finally got around to setting this up and having an issue. every time Steam VR loads i have to run the FreePIE script to get rid of the hydra prompt. i completed each step but getting no movement on omni

Yes, everytime you want to use Steamvr with the Omni you need FreePie running and you need to open OpenVR-InputEmulator and Select the Device hydra0_controller0. (This is the Omni) Apply the Profile that matches the hand controller used for movement in the game you want to play usually the left hand. (If you don't want to run FreePie when your not playing with the Omni you can disable the Hydra drivers if you Rename this folder. C:\Program Files (x86)SteamVR Hydra driver Just put something on the end of the name. Example: SteamVR Hydra driver_Disabled)
  • I finally got my omni setup, the Subpac does interfere with the harness, to what degree i'm not sure yet. It either rests above the harness, or you can press it against the harness and tuck it inside the harness, either way, i'd probably recommend using it without the harness. I'll update again when i've worn it and played games, and seen how comfortable it can be in or over.
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 59
    Are the instructions at the top of this thread the most recent, best way to run the Omni with non-Omni native software? Does that include with ReVive as well? I have yet to take the plunge.

Thanks!
    Mark
    Yes, currently this guide is the only method. Hopefully in the next month or two something easier to setup will arrive as I know several have had issues getting this installed. I tried to make the guide as user friendly as possible but I suppose it's still difficult to get working for some people in this current state. Revive works for Oculus Rift headsets only. I have been actively working on improving my multiplayer TPCast setup and playing games instead of working on Revive for Vive headsets but it could be done I think.
    edited January 4
    Thanks Evol. The downside of following instructions blindly is not understanding them. On the VIVE, Does the second (right) controller need to use hydra0_controller0 or hydra0_controller1? Why does the second Oculus controller not need to be set up.

What's the most straight forward game to use to test whether or not our modifications worked? Also, if we don't want to use the FreePie/OpenVR configuration(( say for native games), do we just not start OpenVR? It's probably covered above - will go through the thread.

For example, I disabled OpenVR and anythign else I could in the SteamVR settings and the Hydra controllers still show up and the Green Window that you need to hit space in shows up - but space no longer gets rid of it. I'm going to start re-reading the thread...

EDIT: So - some answers for the lazy - As for the left/right hydra it doesn't matter they are both mapped to the Omni you don't need to map both only one.
    Back on Page 2
    Unreal Engine games require Hydra disabled before launch.
    (These games will have no controllers when launched with the driver active. You can still use the driver, just not at launch.)

Select Device: hydra0, Device Mode: Disable, and Apply (Also do this for hydra1)

After the game is loaded and you can see your controllers/hands. Return Device: hydra0 to Device Mode: Default and Apply (You only need hydra0)
    RABID said:

im already looking foward to playing From Other Suns with it

Rabid, any luck with this?
  • I had to change SteamVR beta to regular SteamVR for the controllers to vibrate on identify. I booted up Vanishing Realms, and changed the locomotion option to sliding (left controller) in the options. Forward, Backwards, Strafing all work. The only issue is picking up coins off the floor. You could use the floor fix in Advanced VR settings to bring the floor to eye/ within reach level, and then use it again to return the floor to regular position, but the whole process would be pretty tedious for each time you'd like to pick up something off the ground. I was wondering if it was possible hypothetically to shift the floor up and down with the press of a keybound button, perhaps one of the two steam menu buttons. Any suggestions for crouching, and/or picking items off the ground in the Omni?
    edited January 8
    I haven't had a chance to try out Vanishing Realms, glad to know it's working for you. I should probably make a note in the guide to not use SteamVR beta as OpenVR-InputEmulator doesn't support it. I've tried a few games which have this issue with not reaching items on the floor. Yes a button to move floor height is definitely possible. It should actually be possible right now to set a toggle on your height to reach items on the ground using OpenVR-AdvancedSettings. If you go to the Accessibility Page you should be able to do just that.

Adjust Player Height: Offsets the player height to allows short or wheelchair-bound players to fully interact with height-limited applications by both boosting their height and being able to touch the in-game floor when necessary by pressing a configurable motion controller button.