Other Options?

nicole01nicole01 Posts: 2
So I am looking for VR options for exercise that do not involve a bike. I’m just a lowly consumer. Does anyone know of other options since Omni seems to not cater to the likes of me?

Best Answer

Answers

• EVOLEVOL Posts: 203
    Box vr is a serious workout..
  • nicole01nicole01 Posts: 2
    I was hoping for some walking/exploring of interesting realms and terrain... and as you can tell, I'm completely new to VR. Anything like that I can look into?
  • EVOLEVOL Posts: 203
    I'd suggest buying an Omni secondhand but if that's out of your budget. This is the best option I can suggest.. OpenVR-WalkInPlace Just don't expect too much here this is not going to provide the same experience as the Omni by any means.
  • I walk and jog on a treadmill for around 1-2 hours. I normally go into a program called Virtual Desktop and load a movie and watch while jogging. For an interesting effect, you can listen to music by loading youtube and watching guitar hero or rocksmith videos at full screen. The moving guitar fretboard mimics the treadmill and is immersive.
    Been doing this since the Rift launched in early 2016.
    Obviously you have to hold onto the handrails since you cant exactly sense your position on the treadmill. I figured I'd do this to train my legs for multi-hour Fallout or SKyrim sessions in VR on the Omni, but then the Omni never came out in quantity so I'm still on the treadmill.
  • willEwillE Posts: 7

I walk and jog on a treadmill for around 1-2 hours. I normally go into a program called Virtual Desktop and load a movie and watch while jogging. For an interesting effect, you can listen to music by loading youtube and watching guitar hero or rocksmith videos at full screen. The moving guitar fretboard mimics the treadmill and is immersive.
    Been doing this since the Rift launched in early 2016.
    Obviously you have to hold onto the handrails since you cant exactly sense your position on the treadmill. I figured I'd do this to train my legs for multi-hour Fallout or SKyrim sessions in VR on the Omni, but then the Omni never came out in quantity so I'm still on the treadmill.

That's some real dedication!
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 81
    But ... you could also do this in front of a TV with a computer hooked up to it :) or in front of a computer with 3 or 4 monitors hooked up to it. There is a lot less chance of eating it by stepping off the treadmill. Yeah, not as immersive, but man, you eat it once wearing a Rift or Vive and you won't do that again.

Full disclosure : I use an adjustable height desk set above a treadmill 5-7 days/week in front of a computer. Once I started playing with OVRDrop, I considered the walking on the treadmill while in an HMD thing, but I would be too nervous about a misstep. I just play the video in my head of me wearing the Rift or Vive, stepping wrong and the resulting crash as I slide to the back of the treadmill, trip on the cables, rip the HMD off my head as I step on the cables, the cables getting caught in the treadmill or me getting hung up as the treadmill tread wears away some skin. Which reminds me - we need a site like this - http://www.sawaccidents.com/recently-added-accidents.htm - for VR accidents.
  • willEwillE Posts: 7
    So I'm 220lbs and haven't exercised a day in my life. I was hoping that buying an Omni would help change my biggest hobby into a health hobby. You guys have already seemed to master that. Any tips for gamercising?
  • The trick to a treadmill in VR is to use experiences that don't change direction on you. Things where you have a fixed reference, like Virtual Desktop are fine and it's really no problem to jog and play. I have one arm of the treadmill setup with a mouse and mouse pad, and can work or play PC games or watch youtube and multitask pretty easily. The only issue is doing something like playing a movie on an Imax-sized screen in VR and then the movie switches to a parkour foot chase scene or car chase or something with a lot of directional shifts. That can mess with what your body is telling you as you jog.
    It's worth it IMO. I went from 240 to 185 lbs just jogging and calorie counting. I've heard of other doing this too, but have not spoken to any. I got the idea from a friend who was severely overweight and made a pact with himself that he could only play Xbox while on a stationary bike. He lost 100 lbs. The distraction of entertainment takes your mind off the monotony of the exercise. I suppose that's why people join gyms and do those group fitness and spin sessions, but as a non-social gamer, those things seem awful to me.
  • How about just a walking simulator itself? Isn't there one of those out yet that are WASD compatible? I'm looking to lose some weight myself.