HOW TO: Play any VR Game With Full Locomotion on Omni! Arizona Sunshine Verified

Comments

• EVOLEVOL Posts: 201
    Yeah I seen that its great news previously steamvr updates would generally break support.
  • It looks like I can't identify the controllers anymore, and the omni movement is no longer being picked up. I updated the VR input emulator to version 1.2, and clicking identify still doesn't rumble the controllers, did the regular steamVR updates break the mod chain at all, or is this just me?
  • the input version of steam vr fixed it.
  • ArenaVRArenaVR Posts: 3
    @MrHmYesQuite what do you mean? how fix it? I have the same problem!

Thanks
  • MrHmYesQuiteMrHmYesQuite Posts: 26
    edited January 15
    @ArenaVR
    ArenaVR said:

@MrHmYesQuite what do you mean? how fix it? I have the same problem!

Thanks

If you go to tools instead of games in steam you can click on steam vr and open up properties, it lists steamvr, steamvr beta, ces beta, and the input beta. Select the input beta let it install and everything should go back to working, skarrah is also working on a solution that might make this whole process a little easier, but apparently this input version of steamvr is only up for two weeks, so here's to hoping it stays available or is integrated into normal steamvr
  • Has any of this changed? I'm going to go ahead and start installing, anything I should look out for? Pretty overwhelming.
  • GTerGTer Posts: 9
    Hi, I haven't read the entire thread (but I'll come back to it later to do so) but does this work if you own an oculus rift? Also, I'm not sure where in your post I can get the instructions you mentioned for how to make these games work. (I'm about to purchase an omni very soon, but as it's really expensive, I want to find out first how to make it all work)
    edited January 29
    EDIT: just realized the picture in your documentation is the razer hydra motion controllers. Are those necessary, and if so, are they still available somewhere? I think they were discontinued.
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 80
    GTer, you just need to install the software for the Hydras.
    Thanks, is it possible to use the omni alongside vorpx to play traditionally non-VR games? Like fallout 3? I saw a video of someone playing the classic doom 2 with an omni (there's also a doom 2 VR mod that also apparently works alongside steamvr).
    I have an oculus rift, is it okay to upgrade my omni to the latest firmware or will it cause issues?
  • Works just fine as far as I can tell.
  • flamaestflamaest Posts: 108
    edited March 2
    Thank God for this thread!!! My OMNI was left to be a pretty show-off dust collector in my house.

Funny thing is, it is still the same half dozen or so helpful folks posting and making progress. I DON'T believe for a second there are "thousands" of OMNI's in people's private homes given that this forum's posting volume is so low.
  • semicasualsemicasual Posts: 14
    flamaest said:

Thank God for this thread!!! My OMNI was left to be a pretty show-off dust collector in my house.

Funny thing is, it is still the same half dozen or so helpful folks posting and making progress. I DON'T believe for a second there are "thousands" of OMNI's in people's private homes given that this forum's posting volume is so low.

What percentage of Omni owners do you think even know this board exists?

Posting on forums is for a small, hardcore group of enthusiasts that, in my experience, usually numbers less than 5% of consumers of a given product. Everyone else just lurks (like I did for the past year and a half), or they're oblivious to community. Also consider the influence of people who *do* post a lot, but only to complain.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 191
    Thing is, if someone doesn't know about this board, and bought an Omni...they're hurting. Either they play one game, or they spend an insane amount of time tweaking settings. I agree with flamest...there aren't a lot of Omni consumer owners out there. We'd see reddit threads, youtube links, facebook shares, something. All I see on reddit is usually people trying to offload theirs. On this forum, there's less than 20 of us posting. And zero interaction that I've seen from Jan or Virtuix lately.

Regardless, I can care less. There's progress on making this thing work with 'modern' games, and that's really all I care about anymore. I just need time to step away from my new CNC hobby to get back into things, but I'm probably a few months out. And right now the Omni's not compelling enough for me to take the time away
    Thank you again Joe and Evolve, you guys should start a Patreon so that we can pay you back in some way for your continued support.
  • WahrkbaitWahrkbait Posts: 3
    I followed all the steps up until running the freePIE script. When I click "run", it says "ERROR_INVALID_ACCESS: The operation cannot be performed unless the device is acquired. (-2147024884)" rrr. Anyway, the OpenVR-Input Emulator install seemed to go fine, I tried it twice. Steam shows the "Sixsense SDK for the Razer Hydra" tool as "Ready to play." The "OpenVRInputEmulator.ini" file is in the correct folder, and the "sixsense.dll" and "sixsense_x64.dll" are both in the correct folders (so Steam VR Hydra driver installed it looks like.) I tired copying them in twice to make sure I had them there (and replacing the old files.) Clearly FreePIE installed correctly the script downloaded, but yeah it's giving me this error and I can't get further :-(

Thanks so much EVOL for figuring this all out!!! Any ideas anyone what's going on, I really want to try "From Other Suns" with the Omni, and to be able to play some of my legacy games, with Vorpx, like No Man's Sky (nice for exercise) out without having to binary between running and walking...

(My old username is esopsis and I posted about trying to use xPadder to run/walk here...

edited March 9
    Doot dadoo. Ok I reset my computer and now it's not giving me the error when I run the script. But I still don't see the two hexagons with "C"s in them, and when I put on my Oculus I don't see it asking me to do anything with Hydra controller, when I open Steam VR. I open steam, run the freePIE script, then open Steam VR, and I can't get to the next step now... thanks (tried re-setting computer again no luck this time :-))
    Ok I tried installing the two Steam VR betas, "openvr-inputemulator-temporary - Temporary branch" (temporary branch, that doesn't sound that good, maybe I will wait for a newer version?) and "SteamVR Beta Update." I waited until each was installed, re-started steam, ran the FreePIE script, opened SteamVR, still no hexagons. With each version of SteamVR, when I open "Inputs" with my headset, my headset and touch controllers show up but NO Hydra controllers :-/
    EVOL. Quick question, in response to the comments below, does your instruction set include checkpoints, that can be completed about every major step so that the user can validate that each step is working correctly? Obviously lots of work has already gone into this, just making a suggestion since I think this would help, instead of putting everything together and wondering what went wrong.
  • travis1409travis1409 Posts: 131
    So is this entire forum completely dead? I am trying to get Arizona sunshine running but I don't have a Razor Hydra. Is this a requirement or what?
    It’s not a requirement, just the drivers are. I don’t believe the forums dead, but the five or so of us that bought omnis are probably busy :)
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 80
    I keep meaning to test Skaarah's implementation, but have been busy with so many other things, that I rarely get an VR time, let alone time enough to go put on the Omni diaper and figure out how to make all the controls work for FO4. It is on my list, I just need life to leave me alone for a few weeks. I do check here almost daily for updates and posts and it does disappoint me as to how dead everything is. The reality is that Omni-like devices in VR are a niche of a niche and there will be so few people that own them and so few pieces of software that support them, that it is what it is.
  • gleamingsandsgleamingsands Posts: 303
    I mean, I'm still here. I built a platform for my Omni, I'll post pics soon. Rolls around nice and easy now. ;)
  • aladro_2aladro_2 Posts: 4

I mean, I'm still here. I built a platform for my Omni, I'll post pics soon. Rolls around nice and easy now. ;)

That would be very usefull mate!
    Have any of you started working on implementing virtuix for other kind of software besides videogames?
    @aladro_2 I worked on a virtual museum prototype, but didn't get too far. It's fairly easily doable however, the SDK + Unity makes things pretty straightforward. What did you have in mind?
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 197

ever get around to posting them?
    Joe said:

@aladro_2 I worked on a virtual museum prototype, but didn't get too far. It's fairly easily doable however, the SDK + Unity makes things pretty straightforward. What did you have in mind?

Hey Joe, i wanted to adapt the virtuix for other uses, pls send me a pm with your mail so we can talk.