Pre order notification thread

Comments

• yannisyannis Posts: 16
    In the investors update they also said that thet distributed more than 2000 units bit also added that current customers and distributors have ordered secind and third containers. Each container is 100 units, based on an old newsletter.
    They also added that for the first time last month they made a profit. Just 100k but profit.
    In that newsletter they emphatically thank their early supporters for making the company great. Didn't mention screwing us in the process.
    OK. I got THE EMAIL and paid the shipping cost. Let's see how soon i'll get it. Original order number was 2927 placed 11/01/2014 at 02:02PM.
    In the email they pretty much tell you that if you own a Rift you pretty much buying a hunk of plastic and metal and if you own vive it's a bit less of a hunk but not much. I am putting my faith on the hacker community to use the hardware and "fix" the software.
    Cheers everyone and good luck.
    Y
  • JoeJoe Posts: 192
    That email sounds updated from the one I received, which didn't mention rift vs. vive...can you post the contents? I'd be curious to know the wording, esp. since they changed their support of a device that I, and others purchased, with the belief that it would work with Rift
    here it is. The rest is order info.

Greetings from Virtuix!

We are pleased to report that we are preparing to ship your Omni soon! We sincerely appreciate your patience as we realize the wait has been much longer than anticipated. Thank you for coming on this journey with us. We would not be here without you.

We do want to make you aware that the Omni has changed significantly since you placed your order. Virtuix has shifted its focus to the commercial market and is no longer working with content developers to create consumer focused content. The content platform we are building is designed for the commercial market and most games will not be available to consumers. Additionally, our games are developed for the HTC Vive and do not support the Oculus Rift HMD. We are happy to ship your order but wanted to make sure you know what you are getting. If this does not meet your needs, we will be happy to refund your order.

Wow...thankyou. That's so damn disappointing to those of us with Rifts, or that supported them. I think we guessed it in the forums, but that's the first time I've seen them come out and essentially say it.
    No worries. Microsoft threw a curve ball on the entire VR industry and soon all will have to comply with the Mixed Reality standard.
  • If your order was placed Nov 1st 2014, and you just got the e-mail... my Jan 20th 2015 pre-order probably has a few more months to go :X
  • Ouch, my order was placed in early 2016. I guess I should relinquish all hope.
    See the omnivr overlay thread...honestly having an Omni without that work isn't terribly exciting...but with it...it opens up a TON of potential and could make it a consumer device again (IMO)
  • willEwillE Posts: 7
    So pretty much Virtuix is saying they sat on our money all this time, but will no longer actually support games we can play at home? Joe, how are you enjoying your Omni these days? I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the refund. I think that's what they want. It's really sad.
    that's exactly what they did. I'm not enjoying my Omni at all...I'm hoping that I can get the Omni vr driver working or Evols solution at some point, but honestly it's just a huge hassel. Everyone's playing VR games like Doom and such, and games got adapted to seated or other experiences. I haven't used my VR setup because the Omni kind of dominated the corner of the room and the headset...to use the headset I have to stand in the Omni right now, or rewire a bunch of crap. It's pretty miserable. If you're looking to dev, then I'd say go for it, you'll get to dev. but for the room it takes up, I kinda regret having it.

The other side of the coin though is I think Virtuix will be out of business at some point...and then there won't be a way to get one at all. None of the 'self builds' have come close to what they delivered.
    I don't actually dev, but I'm a member of a group of game developers who have been waiting patiently on this thing to come in. I'm going to house it in the group facility in downtown Memphis. The main reason I haven't asked for a refund for the unit is because so many people are waiting to get their hands on it. It'd be selfish. In Virtuix's early days I thought about investing. I'm really happy I didn't do it. What is it that turns otherwise good people with good intentions into the worst type? Ah, money.
  • I want my omni for three reasons and three reasons only: Skyrim, Fallout, CSGO. I don't care if nothing else works, as long as I have those three.

Joe, why do you think Virtuix will be out of business if they've got a ton of Chinese arcades buying the units as fast as they can make them? Seems like if anything business is *too* good for them to serve the consumer market adequately.
    A bit ago I did a calculation against the units they reported shipped, against 5k (my guess on price since that's what the Chinese resellers show them for), and calculated a revenue stream from hardware. I think divided that by an engineering salary of 80k (low for high level engineers, but with a headquarters in texas the cost of living is probably lower than the Seattle area I'm familiar with. When it came down to it, the numbers didn't add up. I don't see a social media presence or 'buzz', and their logistics are pretty bad. They shipped some pretty basic bugs that I saw when I went to an arcade to try it out. And they have Kat VR as a competitor in the Chinese space. I don't see any indication of them 'growing'. They lost a ton of money when they cancelled the European market. So really...why do you think they're doing well? I see no indication at all. There is potential that the revenue stream of the service they released is substantial, but honestly, I doubt it. Most arcades they've announced have 2 units, some have 4. It's not like they're getting huge orders...if so they'd brag about it. Anyway, Looking at the data, I don't know how you substantiate the claim 'ton of Chinese arcades buying the units as fast as they can make them'. Also if production was ramped up significantly, then filling the preorders should be a non issue..and people are still waiting. So yeah, I give them maybe a year, or whatever it takes to burn through their last investment.
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 81
    As home users and since Virtuix has bailed on the home market, I'm not sure if we should care what happens to them at this point. They did have an accessory sale over the holidays and I wish I had taken advantage of it, because parts will ultimately be the problem (here's hoping for another sale, although I was wondering if they were clearing inventory to generate some cash). I think from a software perspective, we're more likely to see support from the home users (Skaarah, Evol, yourself and others) more so than from Virtuix.

Also, Joe, I have that same Omni with my Vive in the corner. It makes me glad I bought a Rift as well so that I'd have something else to play with.
  • hey so i have been reading and saw that yannis got his email a few weeks back, my order number is 3033, placed 12/05/2014 at 05:41PM. so i am not that far off from his, i will keep updated on when i get my email maybe this will help people figure out how many units are shipping for pre order people a month or something. idk if this info will be useful but i figured id post it.

I hope Virtuix has indeed stopped looking at this forum because they may delay my delivery on purpose so we don't **** on them more. I paid the shipping fee etc but they said it could be 3 or more weeks before they actually deliver it. With their notion of time it could be summer by then.
    Once you have that part done they’re usually pretty close on the shipping. I don’t think they bother with the forums, they’re a commercial company now. Commercial issues are going to go through other channels. I haven’t seen Jan post in a long time
    Received Tracking Numbers!!!! If all goes well OMNI arrives next Tuesday!!!
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 81
    Yannis, this is a non-kickstarter pre-order that you're receiving ? In the US? Just interesting to see units go out like this after the push to commercial has happened. Congrats on the end to your long wait.
    Just wanted to update the thread. I took the refund. I just can't do this anymore. It's so depressing. You guys have been a good group and I wish you all the best. Customer services was good in this regard, they didn't drag their feet or give me a run around about it. I begged them to ship my product already or just go ahead and issue me a refund.
    Holy crap there are preorders that still haven’t gotten them?! :( sorry to hear that but it’s probably for the best
  • semicasualsemicasual Posts: 16
    edited February 21
    Joe said:

Holy crap there are preorders that still haven’t gotten them?! :( sorry to hear that but it’s probably for the best

I'm a pre-order: #9979. I always figured I was pretty far down the queue.

Back in early 2017, when the newsletters contained production updates, I tried to estimate when my Omni would be ready based on the number of backers (that I knew about) and the approximate rate of unit production. I figured it would be sometime around November 2018.

I plan to continue waiting at least until then, although I have pinged Omni support a few times asking for updates. I'm not desperate to get my $800 back; I've already sunk enough money into VR products that the cost doesn't bother me overmuch. I'm also hopeful that support for the omni will be better-developed by the time mine arrives.
  • Semicasual, when did you place your order?
    MarkV, sorry for the delay in answering. Yes this was a non-kickstarter pre-order. I placed it on their web site probably shortly after the campaign was closed.
    OMNI arrived, huge and heavy. Definitely not a $500 toy anymore. It is built like tank but the technology is simplistic. Anyway, haven't had time to seriously play wit it yet but since i have Oculus i had to already do some hacking since the omniverse game places the floor at chest level. go figure.
  • Semicasual, when did you place your order?

July 2016
  • Have they ever mentioned if they shipping to specific regions first? I preordered in Feb. 2016 with order number 8680 and haven't heard anything yet.
  • Have they ever mentioned if they shipping to specific regions first? I preordered in Feb. 2016 with order number 8680 and haven't heard anything yet.

Other than that non-USA orders would not be fulfilled? Nope.
  • jhoward679jhoward679 Posts: 2
    well i honestly don't think that there is any rhyme or reason to how they are shipping. my order was 2428, placed 06/22/2014 at 01:56PM. after 4 years i emailed them because people with order numbers placed after mine were getting their units. this was there response.

Virtuix - Kelly Campbell commented:

Hi Jason,

Thank you for contacting us. Your orders are still in our system and we will be in touch when they are ready to ship.

Please note that order numbers are not indicative of the place in the shipping queue as they may have changed due to back-end site updates. We apologize for the long delays and understand if you would prefer a refund instead. Just let us know if this is the case.

Best regards,
    Kelly

then i emailed them back : thank you for contacting me, however i don't see how my order number could not be indicative of my place in the shipping que. i work in the tech field and that makes no sense what so ever. i have talked to people that have confirmed that they ordered their units after i did and the have received them. perhaps there was a clerical error and my order was overlooked. i do not want a refund, nor do i appreciate a runaround about back end updates. I am sorry if i am coming off as harsh but there are not good things being said about your company fulfilling its obligations to kick-starters and pre-orders. with the amount of time from the original order date to now i do understand that there may be complications but i truly hope that the rumors going around are unfounded. i feel like four years into this that i have been very patient and when you send me news updates that you are shipping units over seas to commercial buyers i feel like i am being ignored.

their response was to never email me back.

now i am hearing that people who ordered TWO YEARS after me are getting their units. This company is GARBAGE.
    Pretty much. They don't care about you, me, or any of their backers. They don't respond in forums, they don't do anything to support us, they don't deliver on any of the promises. They took our money, changed the product, and we basically funded a startup. I bet if you were a commercial arcade or a distributer you'd have had your unit months ago. And...here's the kicker, when you DO get your unit, prepare to be hugely disappointed...unless you like spending hours tweaking settings to try to make games from years ago work, or hooking up some of the crazy hacks that some of the amazing forum members have strung together. I am loaning my Omni out because I've not been on it in months, and it just sickens me to think about how badly we all got taken.