player 2 has entered

RABIDRABID Posts: 198
http://katvr.com/product/kat-walk-mini/
says its UNIVERSALLY COMPATIBLE. must be nice

Comments

• semicasualsemicasual Posts: 14
    It sounds great on paper, but I'd like to know more about how it works in practice. If you scroll down a bit, it says the KAT Walk Mini relies on an "open SDK" to enable developers to integrate the KAT Walk into their games. If I understand the situation correctly, that's more or less what the Virtuix Omni does now ( http://www.virtuix.com/developers/ ).

I'm concerned that the KAT Walk Mini will end up being like the Omni, but cheaper - an expensive peripheral that you need to put in a lot of extra work in order to integrate with most games, since they do not support the KAT Walk natively and KAT VR doesn't distribute an easy-to-use emulator with its hardware.

Plus, I've been looking all over for reviews of the original KAT Walk, and I haven't been able to find much. KAT VR's flagship project appears to have been shown off around trade shows, but I can't find a reference to anyone who actually *owns* one. At one point, I asked about buying one for myself, and it cost about $9,499.00 - which easily prices out most consumers.

At $1500-$3000, the Mini is a lot more affordable. But that's still a lot of money to ask for something I'm not sure will even work, because there are no consumer reviews and not enough information about how well *any* KAT VR product integrates with existing VR games.

• semicasualsemicasual Posts: 14
    I decided to take a significant risk and pre-ordered the Kat Walk Mini. It was ~$1900 (1500+400 for shipping), and that was as cheap as it could be for the foreseeable future. I figure that, if it turns out not to be all that is advertised, I can resell it for more than I originally paid for it.

They're supposed to start delivering units in June, assuming no delays. I'll post my feedback here once I have it.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 198
    these devices NEED controller (rift stick and vive wand disc) emulation. that would remove the dependency on devs adding support. there is a project here for that but currently doesn't support rift so i'm stuck
  • Semicasual, have you received your Kat Walk Mini yet?