Walking Strain?

Sir MelonSir Melon Posts: 7
edited November 2013 in Omni Feature Questions
Some videos of people trying out the Omni look really awkward. Classically, you see people leaning fowards or having trouble standing.

Obviously it can't be truly "natural" walking when you are stuck in one place, and the confusion of being in VR probably don't help your body. However, is it awkward enough to potentially cause unhealthly strain on the legs or the back? Or is it just a matter of adjusting to a new style of movement?

I mean, I remember when I first went to run on an actual treadmill and it was odd trying to sort of resist while moving at the same time, so I'm guessing it might be a bit like that?

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    Hello Sir Melon!

I wouldn't worry. Those people are using the Omni for the first time. They've just strapped the Rift to their heads and are struggling to find their VR legs. It's like watching people learn to ride a bike, roller-skate or ice-skate. Makes it look harder than it is. After 10 minutes or so you get used to the low friction, but most people aren't on it that long. After a week I was able to run on the Omni without even using the harness. That wasn't while wearing the Rift, but when they both have the finished tracking even that might be possible.

The awkwardness only lasts a few minutes, I doubt you could hurt yourself in that time, especially given when you lose balance the harness and ring are taking your weight.

Here's a good video of me having fun on the Omni. Shows what a little practice can do! :D

Community Manager at Virtuix
  • It's funny, I just watched this video the previous night on your blog! ^.^

Can't wait for my turn on one of these things. -nods-
    supermansig.png
    Props go to Plixity for the sig.
  • sutekiB, looks like you have had some fantastic experience with the Omni.

I hope you'll admit now what I mean't about the cables :) I find even hanging it from the ceiling a bit of a distraction when I go out of range and start pulling on them.

Also, how's the chaffing with the harness? It's good to hear you can run without the harness. That makes sense given what I've found as well, after awhile you develop some skills and as long as it's slippery enough, it should be all good.

The only thing I think you should probably make sure you do are some stretching exercises with your calfs and what not before trying to do this. It's weird forces at work and flexibility there would be a good idea.

Another point .. it's a lot of exercise! Which is the whole point, really, but I wonder if people are prepared for that particular reality..
  • Alright that is helpful. That was my only real concern. I think a lot of people are a bit suspicious about how healthy it is to use these emerging virtual reality products. In the case of the Omni, physical strain, but also I've noticed people often query as to the safety of headsets on the eyes (but to my understanding that is unwarranted fear).

The only thing I think you should probably make sure you do are some stretching exercises with your calfs and what not before trying to do this. It's weird forces at work and flexibility there would be a good idea.

Another point .. it's a lot of exercise! Which is the whole point, really, but I wonder if people are prepared for that particular reality..

I'd like to think people are. The physical benefits are really exciting I think. I try to run on normal treadmills or outside but it is so boring. I like to play computer games often, but I regularly feel concerned about how long I spend sitting down. Even regular exercise won't offset how bad it is to sit for hours and hours each day.

I want this with a Rift so badddddd. I hate that it'll still be the best part of a year before either product ends up selling officially.
  • DrDerpzDrDerpz Posts: 6
    SutekiB's right, you know. The Omni base is concaved, so you're not hitting your feet on the ground while trying to move, hence; reducing strain on your legs. And yes they do look like there struggling to find there balance, but that's because it IS a low friction surface, and you DO have to adjust your walking pattern. But in like 5 minutes it's pretty much second nature. Jan uses it perfectly, because he is used to it, same for the people in the videos, they have to get used to it first. And they're not forced to walk in that awkward stagger, they only do that because of the fact that they're over exaggerating their movements because they expect to feel different when walking on something there not used to walking on.It's all mental.
  • DrDerpzDrDerpz Posts: 6
    to sir melon: I read your last post. I read where you said that people might not be ready for the reality of exercise, but really, if you think about it, it's just like going outside. people do that every day (if they're normal, lol). I'd like to think that everyone is going to accept the Omni, but that's just wishful thinking. there are people that hate this thing just so they have something to hate, lol.