How does movement in a game work which has native integration?

Hello,

I was thinking about how the movement is translated into the game, if the omni is integrated natively. Is it like a "live" tracking, for example if you slide down with your foot on the omni surface, does it instantly move the character ingame, depending on distance and speed you move on the omni (Would also answer the question if it can distinguish between bigger and smaller steps)? Or is it rather like you move first and then it proceeds the information about the speed and distance to the game, which would imply a noticeable latency I guess.

kind regards

Comments

• The short answer is we are still working out the best scenario for these cases. The longer answer has to do with the type of information the Omni SDK will initially expose to the game. The first version will very much resemble the same sort of output coming from a game controller. The output will provide X & Y values for a vector which will give you both a direction and a magnitude to be used for input into the game. Additional information will then be exposed as it becomes both stable and meaningful.
  • TrabbiTrabbi Posts: 19
    Alright thanks for your answer.

Would it be technically possible to do a real 1:1 with the current hardware of the omni or could this be a goal for a next version? You said the output will also be a direction, so it would make sense if this direction is also the direction of the body which would make it easier for devs to decouple headtracking from bodytracking without using something like the stemsystem or priovr.
  • You may the vector for movement direction, and the head mounted display will then control the rotation of the camera, giving the decoupled experience you are hoping for. Actual tracking of body orientation will need to be from a 3rd party device, or as you mention, potentially a future gen of the Omni.
  • ArtephaxArtephax Posts: 12
    edited April 2014
    While I was watching the video of Far Cry 3 being played with the Omni, I noticed that the movement direction and camera rotation were not decoupled. When the user turned his head to the side but continued to run forwards, he was running in the direction he was facing. Is the decoupling of look direction and movement direction something that must be supported by the game, or can it be emulated for games that don't have direct support? I imagine that if you are walking along a path and trying to look around you while doing so (a natural movement) and your character keeps walking off the path in the direction you are looking it could be really jarring.
  • @Artephax‌ - the answer to your question about the Far Cry video is, no, the camera is not decoupled. Decoupling in legacy games will require software and interpretation between the controller and the input into the game. This has the potential to introduce latency into the legacy gaming experience. We will need to explore together how this impacts VR players.
    Apologies to Trabbi if I'm taking over his thread - I just have one more question in relation to this. I'm planning on getting either a PrioVR or STEM system for body tracking - will it be very easy to set either of these up as inputs for body position to work with the Omni for legacy games?
  • NobleBrutusNobleBrutus Posts: 143
    I doubt the STEM or PrioVR will make a difference in legacy games.

There was a discussion a while back about the possibility of the omni's output being made relative to the rift's orientation (so using WASD, if you're looking forwards and walking forwards the omni will 'press' W, or if you're looking right and walking forwards the omni will 'press' A etc achieved by intercepting the Rift's direction output and comparing with the Omni's, basically turning the Omni into a WASD setup that rotates with your looking direction). As Dev_Guy_Robert mentioned though the biggest issue is to try and achieve it with minimal latency. Would be great to see it as an option if possible though.
    My biggest interest in the STEM or PrioVR for legacy games is in the use of gesture mapping, so things like raising a gun controller to your shoulder emulates the button press to look down the sights, etc. While not 1:1 it allows for a more immersive experience instead of pressing a button to achieve the same result, and still allow it to work 1:1 with future titles that support it.

I would have thought emulating an analog stick for movement would be better than the WASD setup mentioned, and the PrioVR and STEM are quite low latency as it is, but I can't claim to be knowledgeable with how the system would use the data from each device to achieve a desired result, and how much extra latency that would add. I might need to jump on the PrioVR forum again and ask the team there as well :smile:
  • Hey @Artephax‌ - don't feel as though you are stealing the thread. This is a great discussion. I'm going to open another thread under the motion controllers topic category and address your question about STEM and PrioVR.
    http://forum.virtuix.com/discussion/1919/legacy-games-with-the-omni-stem-and-priovr?new=1

As far as your WASD comment, I agree with you. The analog thumbstick would replicate the natural motion better. We intend to provide analog stick functionality for both legacy games as well as provide a similar output for Omni SDK enabled games. Are there games you readily play where game controller could not be used? Are there games you currently play, and would want to play on the Omni, that are WASD only?
    Most of the games I'm thinking of are of course first-person, such as Far Cry 3, Mirror's Edge, Battlefield 3, Crysis, Deus Ex, etc. These titles are AAA, so they always have controller support. The only games that may not have controller support are the more indie titles, but I can't think of any that don't have controller support. I'm thinking mostly of first-person games because that's where the ability to look around while walking is important.

Thanks for opening the new thread. I'm going to ask the PrioVR team about this on their own forum, as they have already said that their head tracker can be used instead of the Rift's camera/LED setup, which allows it to work in the 360 degrees of the Omni. I'll post the results in that new thread.
    @Dev_Guy_Robert‌ I agree about the WASD thing, I just used it since I thought it would be easier to visualise for the example. What is Virtuix's current stance on the possibility of movement relative to the Rift's orientation?
  • We believe the choice of relative vs absolute movement should be a game design decision. So, in the case of both Unreal and Unity, we will build controller examples that enable either modes. Having experienced both on the Omni, I have say I'm blown away more by absolute. The first time I experienced it was while we were setting up a controller in TRAVR: Shadow Ops. I was walking out on the catwalk in the first room, and I started to look around while continuing to walk forward. It was a very Ahaa moment :smile:
    Sorry I think I'm getting confused... What's the difference between relative and absolute?

Also the idea was to implement a form of decoupled walking and looking in legacy games (obviously not as good as native support but it could work?).
    I believe relative movement is when the player moves in the direction the player is looking, regardless of where the legs are facing when walking/running. Absolute allows the player to turn their body to run sideways while continuing to look forward, or walk forward while looking around without affecting their forward travel (basically decoupling look and walk directions). As I mentioned above I was checking with the PrioVR guys about this feature and I've posted the results in the thread @Dev_Guy_Robert‌ created, if you are interested.
  • Relative means that the controls affect movement of the player, relative to the direction the camera is facing. If my camera is facing to the right and I push W (or up on the left thumbstick) I move in the direction the camera is facing, to the right. If I push an A, (left on left thumbstick) I move at a 90 degree angle to the left, relative to the camera direction. Absolute does not take into account the camera's direction. If I push up on the left thumbstick I move in the forward direction the player is facing when they are spawned. If I push left, the player moves directly to the left, 90 degrees from the ordinate orientation of the player when they spawned. Hence using the initial orientation as an absolute reference.

The same holds true for games which take advantage of the Omni. In an absolute frame of reference, the direction you are walking on the Omni determines the direction your player will move in the game, without taking into account the direction of the camera.

I'll build some documentation around this topic and we can discuss further. Either way, it's the game designer's choice which they will use.