Unrestricted VR

@sutekiB move this if I put it in the wrong place. Not too sure where to put it since there's not "off topic" or "discussion" sect.

Just interested, if you were to design a VR sys without a harness, how would you design it? I have a few sketches in mind that I haven't uploaded yet yet so don't be suprised if my sketches are similar to y'all.

Comments

• Sry for the bad quality. My hands are preety shaky as usual.

• Brekel kinect is soon going to release an update to their pro body motion capture program where you can kinect :# multiple kinects together maybe you could use those as your cameras. If only you could stream tracking data to the gear vr...
  • JorgenJorgen Posts: 108
    edited February 2015
    @Wolvenworks, these devices you are describing are actually researched on.

Your first design is really close from CAVEs systems.
    But, no need of VR goggles or low-friction surfaces...
    They place the user in some sort of room, in which the floor and walls are stereoscopic screens.
    Your head is tracked in order to adapt the image to your point of view.
    This way, you can really turn around an object in the virtual scene, crouch to look under it...
    The immersion and freedom of movement are the best you can have in VR for now.
    But, yes, your movements are limited to the side of the room: you have to use a controller to move your character in bigger environments.
    And it is extremely expensive: the one in my lab cost more than 1 billion $, and something like 200 $ every time you switch it on.
    Example of an experiment in which I had to move shapes around and my movements and position were captured doing so:

The second system you depict is a bit far from VR, but more related to BCI (brain-computer interface) .
    A bit like in Sword Art Online or The Matrix, the idea is to be able to read neural signals in the users brain, and turn it into computer controls.
    Here is an example in my lab. It was kind of an opposition game in which we had to push a ball in the other's user goal only by brain control.

This kind of system is used for helping disabled people to move wheelchairs around or type text without using their hands.
    However, this domain is still in really early development, and far away from use in games, for example.
    And, to be able to reach SAO or Matrix-like applications, you would also need to send information (feelings, images...) directly to the brain, not only "read" it.
    And this is really not developed yet, and totally SF for now.
    Plus, research ethics forbid influencing peoples brain with electronics in most of the world's country. :)
    The only thing I read on this subject was some Japanese guys who did a helmet that somehow permitted to control the walking direction of the user with a remote control. (it disturbs the vestibular system)
    Video :
    So, yes, no Matrix for some time still ... ;)

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    @Wolvenworks: What happens when you bump into a wall - do you bounce off?

@Jorgen: Cool lab. $1 Billion! Can it run Crysis?

I'm guessing that's you with the beard :D
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    edited February 2015
    @sutekiB: 1 million, sorry ... I often mix up big numbers in english...
    And in our case you DO NO bump in walls... too expensive...
    But it happens sometimes... the immersion is really good and you often forget where are the "real" walls.

The CAVE can probably run Crysis, for it is powered by 8 to 13 Quadro FX 5000 video cards...
    But synchronising the 13 video projectors is hell...
    Full description: http://www.irisa.fr/immersia/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Technical-description-WP.pdf

And yes, I'm the Viking-looking beardy guy... :)
  • http://www.worldviz.com/
    Has some room based systems. You might check out what they are doing for some ideas.

And if you happen to be in the Seattle area you might check.
    http://vrcade.com/
  • @Jorgen "Lab"? sounds...serious. Like, hardcore. You have my interest now.

edited February 2015
    Haha, @Wolvenworks nothing that "hardcore" :)

It's just a computer science research lab in the west of France, http://www.irisa.fr/en.
    The research team I belong to focus on human motion: motion capture, analysis and synthesis.
    We work on multiple subjects like musculoskeletal and physical models for animation, as well as crowd simulation and behavioural aniamtion.
    We collaborate with an other team in the lab, focussing more on interfaces, from haptic to brain-computer interfaces and Virtual Reality.
    Few years ago, we built this CAVE system, being, at least at that time, the biggest worldwide.
    We use it for many experiments such as pedestrian collision avoidance, 3D object manipulation in VR, or just for study of human perception.

It is a nice place to work, and having access to this kind of systems is part of the fun ! ;p
    And yes, some of the people here spend most of their time thinking about systems such as the ones you presented in this post.
    If you are interested in the subjects, I can only encourage you to aim at a PhD in the domain. :)
  • @Jorgen eeh I tried once to go for Bachelor of Elec Engi majoring in Mechatronics. Turns out I am more incompatible with physics than I thought. Had to DO. Don't think I'll survive another round of physics theory class again. I'm more of a practical mechanical hit-that-thing-with-hammer guy. Guess that would make me more of the operator than the creator, eh?

So do the labs collab with the game industry or something? Stuff like games and movies nowadays use mocap to animate. I could easily imagine an actor of an Assassin's Creed character in a mocap suit =D

edited February 2015
    Some labs do collab with the game industry.
    For example, a company can rent our installations for few days if we are not using them.
    But most of the big game or film companies doing mocap prefer to invest in their own systems.

About mocap in Assassin's creed :

• @Jorgen hah knew it!

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    RIP Leonard Nimoy. Live long in our memory, and prosper in our hearts. :'(

The Veldt, a VR story read by Mr Nimoy before I was born.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • Heh I'm immune to trekkie stuff !

• @sutekiB oops forgot to answer your question. I suppose you CAN make users bounce, because it'll be more comfortable than hitting the wall face-first.

What I had in mind is either:
    -A padded wall. the sort most commonly depicted lining asylum walls to prevent ppl from hurting themself. i would say this is more of an ad-hoc answer than a real one
    -Incorporate the room dimensions to whatever you're looking in the VR headset. Course, that essentially means developing a new game/program, and it's not a guarantee 100% success rate
    -this:
    iflscience.com/physics/crystallized-light-reveals-potential
    yes that's technically cheating, Deus Ex Machina style, and by the time hard light becomes economical, we might as well switch to my second desing since it'll prolly be even cheaper

CONCLUSION
    VR in a fixed amount of physical room/space is not reliable.