Minimum/Recommended PC Specs?

I don't think anyone has asked this yet but what's the specs (GPU, CPU, ram amount) that Virtuix recommends for a comfortable experience with TRAVR; or for VR gaming in general? Is it similar to Oculus' recommendation?:

- NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
- Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
- 8GB+ RAM
- Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
- 2x USB 3.0 ports
- Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Comments

• xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    Oculus has actually changed the number of USB ports to 3x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0. No one is quite sure why.
    https://www.oculus.com/en-us/oculus-ready-pcs/#

Personally I think the Oculus specs is the minimum spec to shoot for. They have said they they will not put anything in there store that wont run on those specs so you will be fine there. However If you want to run anything AAA titles with Vorpx you will need some more power.

Now with the Vive being pushed back until April of 2016 I am going to wait until Nvidia unveils the new Pascal based GPU's before I decide what GPU to get.
  • My guess about the additional USB is for multiple cameras or some other secret accessory Oculus is planning for down the road.

Yeah, I'm right there with you about Pascal. I was gonna get a 970 but then decided to wait and see how big a leap Pascal is compared to Maxwell. Judging by how much hype there is, it should be significant.

About PC VR gaming in general, any game (especially modern, high-graphics demanding ones) will push a PC if its running at 90 fps in 3D, in-line with CV1 refresh rate. Sure, you could turn every setting to ultra low, but when using the Omni and HMD how much of an actual noticeable difference is there between "low" setting and "ultra" setting? The only people who knows is Virtuix. Good thing I'm building a new PC next year specifically for the high demand of VR :)

• Intel 4790-K is a must
    @Pronto I would suggest saving a bit more $$ and going with a 6700K. I think the money is well worth a 15 to 20% increase in single threaded performance. The chip does 15 to 20% more operations per cycle.

This is my current build, I have an Old GTX 680 in it right now. It get the job done well enough for none VR games. but like I said I am going to ether hold out for a Pascal or if it turns out to be less then the hype is promising I will probably go with a GTX 980 Ti
  • Not to mention the 980ti would be almost immediately cheaper after Pascal GPUs are released.

• My 2600k finally died recently (RIP) and that's the main excuse I'm using to justify the new PC I'm going to build; It's going to be Skylake-based because, according to reviews, there's a significant increase in FPS compared to Sandy Bridge in certain games and probably for VR as well. Here's a video that compares Skylake to previous generations:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw

I have two 480s so in SLI their performance is comparable to your 680. Nvidia is working on some interesting ideas to improve FPS: One is to render only part of the screen that's see-able in HMD and down-res the surrounding image to increase performance; second is VR SLI which has one GPU renders one screen while the second GPU renders the other, this should theoretically increase performance. If VR drivers like Vorpx can incorporate some of these techniques (if they haven't done so already) it could result in giving our GPUs some breathing room.
  • Oops. Sorry about the link not working. Here's the new one:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw
    @Sponge101 you may have some trouble with your dual 480's. You are referring to Multi-res shading and as far as i know it only provides a benefit when used in conjunction with Maxwel(900 series) and presumably Pascal GPU architectures do to a new hardware feature called “multi-projection” that enables the card to "efficiently rasterize geometry into multiple viewports within a single render target at once." So you may not get as big of a boost in performance as you think. I suppose Nvidea could even disable the feature in sub 900 GPU's

Source: http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-takes-the-lid-off-gameworks-vr-technical-deep-dive-and-community-qa/2/