How likely are we to see someone die from a heart attack on the Omni? Good or bad PR?

TomekTomek Posts: 76
edited January 2016 in Lounge
After making a comment about this, I am actually curious. I personally think that there will definitely be an unfit gamer somewhere out there who will load up skyrim or something and go all out in the sweet immersion until his heart can't take the new exertion. It's a perfect storm. I hope Omni has disclaimers to avoid any liability and to minimise the chances of it happening at all!

If this does happen though, I think it would be good PR as most people haven't heard of this device and it would make a strong case that if paced, the Omni is an excellent exercise machine.

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    You can count on the disclaimers/guidance. I expect the Omni will get plenty of attention for its health benefits and its core role in delivering Active VR.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 477
    If I had a choice to die doing a specific activity, it would be on the Omni in a virtual world (Fallout, preferred). Virtuix can use my death as PR if they want--I wouldn't be around to care o:)

Seriously though, the topic of death and VR has been talked about in many medium: literature (RPO), movies, and even anime (it's a major theme in SAO). People die doing all kinds of weird/stupid things, why not VR as well.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    @Sponge101 You're right, it is a recurring theme in VR, as it is in videogames. This may sound morbid, but imagine using VR to re-live virtual recreations of important moments in your life as you approach the real end of it? They say you see your past flashing before your eyes in your final moments, that has always sounded scary to me. Maybe if you can preempt this in a slower, controlled manner, the last moments would be more peaceful? Of course, I don't think anything will take the place of having your family around you, but that's not an option for everyone.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 477
    Hey @sutekiB, glad to see you were still in the US at the VRLA (saw you in a video).

That's a very deep and spiritual application of VR that I've never thought about before but certainly a worthy application to pursue. I once saw a short documentary about an elderly-bedridden grandmother who couldn't attend her grandson's wedding physically so they used a HMD and a moving robot with a camera attached to it to make it feel like she was there at the wedding--she was really happy. We were talking about death but the application for the start of life is obtainable with VR as well I think.
  • TomekTomek Posts: 76
    edited January 2016
    @sutekiB @Sponge101

This reminds of a few years ago when a family friend of mine was dying of cancer. As he weakened in hospital during his final hours, he was asked what he wanted. He said he wanted to go to the beach.
    I took out my Galaxy S3 and swiped through some images of beaches on Google for him. He was really into it and for a minute or 2, he was focused and distracted from all the pain and weakness he was going through. I think it really helped. I wish I had had my current Gear VR S6 combo back then, or even Cardboard (which was available). But this is a real life case where someone dying would have greatly benefited from VR.