End of the road,and no path forward yet

Nossforra2Nossforra2 Posts: 84
edited November 2016 in Lounge
Here we are at the end of Nov. Yet nowhere is there any discussion of people receiving their Omni. Nor any updates. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO KEEP US INFORMED?we should have a rough estimate of when we are receiving our product and where we are in the line. This is basic marketing. It should be telling the heart of this product is dying by the number of posts and interest in these forums.

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    Hi @Nossforra2 there is usually a production & shipping update around the end / beginning of the month so we can look forward to more clarity in the coming week.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • @Nossforra2 - how much information are you expecting? There were around 50-100 pathfinders who managed to get beta units for testing. Despite that, I've only seen about 4-6 people (including myself and @SutekiB here) who have bothered to be active within the community on the subject of their Omni units. Those were specifically people who signed up on the idea of giving feedback to Virtuix and the rest of the VR community. So while I'm mildly disappointed, I'm really not all that surprised that people who are currently receiving their Omni base stations aren't motivated to participate similarly. They are consumers who threw their money at Virtuix, not because they wanted to shape the future of VR, but because they wanted to get the Omni base for their personal use. (and/or to put into an arcade)
    As far as Virtuix's communication, there have been blog posts pretty consistently each month giving updates on the progress. A lot of them have more to do with business partnerships and negotiations and money and other crap that we only care about in the sense that we don't have to worry about Virtuix disappearing and leaving the Omni units worthless, but a reasonable amount have been solid updates about the delivery and shipments. Things are moving, we know one kickstarter got his unit already, but we have yet to hear how the overall inspection went. Hopefully this next week will bring us positive news.
  • I think people will only be satisfied if they have personalized emails with exact dates, which is unreasonable at this stage.
  • From Jan's Twitter:

Shipment finally arrived. Stepping onto boat w/ all the shipping crates made me wonder when drug bust's going down #Thuglife

brb need to poop #expectdelays

Holy.... 300 Omnis take up so much space.

brb building an Omni fort.

Fort Omnitron is unassailable! #comeatmebro

Chris is riding a pallet jack with an Omni Boom as a Jousting spear. Fort Omnitron shall never cede!

Oh shiiiiii- guys... **** guys. Bad news. Fort Omnitron fell. Chris is like the hulk on that pallet jack. #punygod

Oh and yeah, we may have lost a couple of Omni units as a result. #mistakesweremade

Okay, legit testing Omnis now. All you pathfinders better kiss your leaderboard slots goodbye #TraVR

.... Okay, NOW you can get ready to kiss your leaderboard placement goodbye

Dangit! NOW you can totes kiss it goodbye! #forrealzthistime

There's something wrong with these units, we should be dominating. We can't approve any of these until we get top score.

Pathfinders may have noticed that leaderboard scores have all been reset. This was part of a critical software issue. #legit

@SutekiB STOP BEATING OUR HIGH SCORES! Don't you have a video tutorial to make or something? #banhammer

looks like the leaderboards got reset again. Crazy how we keep catching these software issues during hardware testing.

okay, straight talk time: we broke half of the omni units before realizing the weight simulator was set for 500 KG and not LBS

None of our kickstarters want promotional pictures of them using their omni. Hired hobo outside for role of 1st Kickstarter

Further Omni testing will need to wait. We're going trick or treating!

Awesome haul, so much candy, can't wait to dig in! #Sugarrush

Does it count as making your candy last if your eat it all in one day, then go into a sugarcoma until Thanksgiving? #ragrets

2nd shipment hijacked and looted. Not the type of piracy I expected to be dealing with in this industry. #Wherestherumgone

No more shipments coming, Chinese partner did hostile takeover and is selling off all our hardware at inflated prices. #FML
  • Jan has a personal twitter? Is there a link?
  • Here's a link to where I pulled all of that from
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 198

From Jan's Twitter:

No more shipments coming, Chinese partner did hostile takeover and is selling off all our hardware at inflated prices. #FML

WHAT??????????

• GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 307
    edited November 2016
    The number of people not getting the joke is unsettling.

I really thought that BRB need to poop and fort omnitron would have driven that point home.
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 212
    i like how your link goes back to your post... aka they are fake? :( i was all excited thinking Jan had a twitter with information updates haha.

hope they give us some actually production information on this coming update letter. something like X amount of units have arrived state side. X amount have shipped to new homes, and about how the accuracy and speed of the testing is going. that way we can actually see progress and that the line is moving. Currently I don't think we have heard of anyone getting a production omni yet have we? I read that the last letter with the backer in the omni was just a PVT omni so not part of the production shipment, could be misinformation but with would love those letters to have more production detail and less BS (that means totally F*** all) about the events that only a few can attend due to regional limitations and time constraints. Most consumers are more interested in the production and shipping than the events and booths :P (least most I talk to so far).
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 307
    edited November 2016
    @DanteM - Yes. They are fake. They are super fake.
    Nothing more than a hypothetical and (what I thought was) humorous mockup of how not really all that useful it would be to have updates come even more often.

As far as hearing about the conventions, I rather agree that they don't do me much good, since I can't travel all the way down to Texas,(or wherever the latest one is being held) and I already have a pathfinder unit anyway, but what my bigger interest is in knowing what Devs tried out the Omni system and are seeing just how much it can add. As @SutekiB and I have both been saying, the Omni itself only does so much without support on the Dev side.
  • XainXain Posts: 128
    This made me chuckle, how dare you get my hopes up? I want to tweets on every dump Jan takes along with sketches depicting size and weight.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    Your playing with my emotions @GreyAcumen! though i have to say "brb need to poop #expectdelays" was funny as hell and let me know it was not real.

Thanks for the laugh!
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 212

@DanteM - Yes. They are fake. They are super fake.
    Nothing more than a hypothetical and (what I thought was) humorous mockup of how not really all that useful it would be to have updates come even more often.

As far as hearing about the conventions, I rather agree that they don't do me much good, since I can't travel all the way down to Texas,(or wherever the latest one is being held) and I already have a pathfinder unit anyway, but what my bigger interest is in knowing what Devs tried out the Omni system and are seeing just how much it can add. As @SutekiB and I have both been saying, the Omni itself only does so much without support on the Dev side.

can't the native software of the omni basically mimic controller/joystick inputs for movements in games like Skyrim, Doom, and really anygame that uses WASD to move or a joystick to move? That in itself is INCREDIBLE as it opens soooooo many games up to VR and I'll be sure to stream and make videos of all of them ^.~ haha. I'm stoked the closer it gets to the arrival of my omni :D. What support dev side does it need if it can mimic the input movement controls then it can be used on most anygame if you fiddle with mappings enough right? (not using one myself I am only going off what I'm hearing from CONs and people that have used them)
  • @DanteM - Okay, think about this, if you want to walk forward, and turn to look to the side, do you have to change the direction you walk or just turn your head? (hint: the answer is you keep walking the same direction) however if you try to walk on the omni when it is just simulating a joystick, then you wind up with every single turn of your head causing your character to veer off in the direction you are looking even though you're still walking forward.
    It SUCKS. Other pathfinders don't seem to mind, and for some reason Virtuix even recommends starting out with coupled movement, but I've never been able to tolerate it. I switched to decoupled movement the very first time I managed to access the option and have hated any game that I've tried to play on the omni without the option. Playing Skyrim? Sure, go right ahead, but playing with coupled movement is like finding out the dovakin had major back surgery and now has a fused spine.
    If I understand SutekiB's videos, VorpX does have some sort of option that can allow you to do a simulated decoupled movement, but it has to be manually configured for each individual game that the omni is being used on and maybe isn't perfect? I haven't even been able to get games to recognize my omni as a joystick (some sort of 360ce runtime deal) and sure, there's the keyboard option, but at that rate you might as well just get a DDR pad and control your character that way. Or maybe use the wii balance board and pretend the dragonbord is riding one of those hoverboard things.