Doom 3 BFG Edition

sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
edited March 16 in Compatible Games
Hi guys, sorry about the delay in getting a new guide up - I've been busy with a lot of other stuff lately. You may have noticed that the Doom 3 video is no longer on the Virtuix YouTube channel. We took a lot of videos down recently as they were causing some confusion. Many had an 'available to pre-order now' banner along the bottom, which is no longer the case. I do hope to have a guide up at some point, though getting it to work is really easy. Here is the mod I used: https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases

If you've just received your Omni, I recommend putting this at the top of your list of legacy games to try - it's awesome!

Best regards,
SutekiB
Community Manager at Virtuix

Comments

• GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 308
    wasd or analog?
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
    WASD (Keyboard Mode)
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 147
    what is that controller?
    The prop gun that the Vive controller is docked into is made by our commercial partner UNIS.
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 205
    sutekiB said:

The prop gun that the Vive controller is docked into is made by our commercial partner UNIS.

Got a link to where we common folk can find and or buy one?

Unfortunately I don't think it's available to consumers. It's pretty simple though, so it shouldn't be too difficult to fashion something similar.
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 308
    I'm assuming it's nothing more than a shell that the vive controller fits into, but with a space to ensure that the tracking ring at the top isn't covered up. It's looks like it is 3D printable, assuming the blueprints were available somewhere.
    @sutekiB can you post some detailed pictures of it? and can we get a better look at the controller mount you made for the waist belt?
    @Rabid I'm planning to post a design for the harness mount as part of a guide for Doom 3. While I'm at it, I have an idea for a DIY gun prop for the Vive controller. I'll be sure to post the guide here (I'll update my original post) when that's done. Should be ready in 1-2 weeks.
  • Were there any settings that needed to be changed to get this to work or do you just have to change the input to keyboard in the Omni software?
    It does work if you just put the Omni in keyboard mode, but I made a few tweaks to improve the experience. More on that coming soon.
  • samisami Posts: 61
    I cannot believe how good this game works , like seriously , its even better than the OMNI SDK Games such as Omni arena and those Travr games that refuse to work with me what so ever.

sutekiB , please share the 3d models that you make , I asked you on reddit but I dont think you saw the message , also if you could ask your friend to share the model for the gun , that would be great , I got a 3d printer and I can print them , only if I have the STL files.

please give more attention to Oculus rift , not everyone is on VIVE.
    Intel 6950X @ 4.4Ghz
    64GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
    2xTitan X Pascals @ 2025Mhz
    Custom open loop EK watercooling.
    Samsung M.2 960 PRO 1TB
    acer 34" 2560x1080 monitor @ 200hz Referesh Rate.
    HD800 Headset with HDVD800 AMP.
    Hi @sami yes it is an incredibly good mod, of an incredibly good game by the world's most prestigious FPS studio, id Software - very tough for a small studio to match those production levels! That said, I think they've done a great job and there is something special to me about Training Ops and Omni Arena. They remind me a little of the original Doom and Quake for their significance. Before there were such good mods of legacy games, it was these two in-house games (along with TF2 and HL2) that showed the potential of the Omni for VR FPS titles. I'm very sorry you are not able to fully enjoy them with the Rift, but I hope you will find other great content (growing all the time) to experience with the Omni.
    @sutekiB , I think am gonna go buy an HTC Vive , I cannot do much with my Rift on the omni ... I wish virtuix would state it clearly somewhere .. " ONLY vive support" , this way I would have traded my Rift for a vive , and maybe not have spent so much money on the oculus store too :'(
    Intel 6950X @ 4.4Ghz
    64GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
    Samsung M.2 960 PRO 1TB
    edited February 9
    Hi @sami, that's great feedback thank you. You're right, I think the Arena video on the games page should say 'Vive only' - I will suggest that to the team.

Edit - your suggestion has been implemented on the Games page. Thank you @sami! Our apologies for the inconvenience.
    sutekiB said:

, I think the Arena video on the games page should say 'Vive only' - I will suggest that to the team.

how about suggesting rift support?

sutekiB said:

Hi @sami, that's great feedback thank you. You're right, I think the Arena video on the games page should say 'Vive only' - I will suggest that to the team.

Edit - your suggestion has been implemented on the Games page. Thank you @sami! Our apologies for the inconvenience.

your welcome buddy, looking forward for full support one day.

Intel 6950X @ 4.4Ghz
    64GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
    Samsung M.2 960 PRO 1TB
    sutekiB said:

@Rabid I'm planning to post a design for the harness mount as part of a guide for Doom 3. While I'm at it, I have an idea for a DIY gun prop for the Vive controller. I'll be sure to post the guide here (I'll update my original post) when that's done. Should be ready in 1-2 weeks.

any update?
  • VeraxusVeraxus Posts: 36
    edited March 2
    sami said:

@sutekiB , I think am gonna go buy an HTC Vive , I cannot do much with my Rift on the omni ... I wish virtuix would state it clearly somewhere .. " ONLY vive support" , this way I would have traded my Rift for a vive , and maybe not have spent so much money on the oculus store too :'(

Given that I backed the Omni when Rift was the only VR headset that was so much as a twinkling in anyone's eye, and given that I gave away my Vive once the Touch controllers arrived (they're just sooo much more natural), I'd prefer that the games I've been reading about in updates for years actually work on the hardware that was originally targetted and which I ultimately chose to support. I do feel a tinge of bait-and-switch with this whole ordeal... and if the hardware itself wasn't as outright fantastic as it is, I'd be really, really mad (as opposed to merely frustrated and bitter).
  • XainXain Posts: 122
    @Veraxus No hate here, just curiousity. As a developer are you worried at all over the 500mil lawsuit Zenimax won over Oculus? Do you think that Zenimax might try to spite them and halt sales? Also why would you give away your Vive, would you not want to keep it to test your games on both products to reach the maximum amount of users possible?
    Xain said:

@Veraxus No hate here, just curiousity. As a developer are you worried at all over the 500mil lawsuit Zenimax won over Oculus? Do you think that Zenimax might try to spite them and halt sales? Also why would you give away your Vive, would you not want to keep it to test your games on both products to reach the maximum amount of users possible?

they only care about vive here ...
    Intel 6950X @ 4.4Ghz
    64GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
    Samsung M.2 960 PRO 1TB
  • VeraxusVeraxus Posts: 36
    edited March 3
    Xain said:

No. Zenimax is pursuing equity - as they have since the very beginning. Since one of Oculus engineers admitted to copying Zenimax code into the Oculus SDK (although Oculus claims that the code was replaced with original work), it gave the jury just the nudge they needed to find for false designation, paving the way for an injunction. What Zenimax gets out of an injunction is a strong negotiating position for equity in Oculus (and likely more than the 15% they originally wanted).

So there are three possible outcomes:

* Zenimax is granted the injunction and Facebook immediately settles with Zenimax before it is enforced. Zenimax gains equity and therefore partial ownership of Oculus... making it the #1 platform for all Zenimax VR content. This sucks for Facebook, but gamers (especially Rift owners) have a powerful new content producer dedicated to their product.
    * Zenimax is not granted the injunction, but Facebook is forced into a licensing deal with Zenimax. Since Zenimax doesn't get what they want (equity), they go out of their way to continue blocking the entire Oculus platform, preventing Rift owners from using their content.
    * Zenimax is not granted the injunction. Either the case remains tied up in appeals until one of the former outcomes occurs, or Zenimax gains nothing else. Since Zenimax does not get what they want, they go out of their way to continue blocking the entire Oculus platform, preventing Rift owners from using their content.

In a way, the first outcome is best for owners of the Rift because Zenimax is a powerful content ally... while if Facebook wins big (the last outcome), it's actually worse for Rift owners.

In any case, it's not really a problem for Rift owners... just your everyday corporate legal tête-à-tête.

Edit: There is one other possible outcome in the event an injunction is granted... Facebook buys Zenimax. This is fairly commonplace when faced with a catastrophic legal outcome, and Microsoft has used it plenty of times. This would be the best outcome for everyone, I would think. Thing is, given the legal battle, Facebook would have to pay Zenimax more than they are actually worth (which is about $3b, I believe). Still, another possibility.
  • XainXain Posts: 122
    Interesting, at this point I wonder why they didn't just go with the original 15% instead of giving them nothing with the possibility of a lawsuit coming back to bite them.
  • CheezWizCheezWiz Posts: 74
    Xain said:

Interesting, at this point I wonder why they didn't just go with the original 15% instead of giving them nothing with the possibility of a lawsuit coming back to bite them.

It practically costs them nothing to go the legal route first in hopes that one set of pockets is deeper than the other. FB has the deep pockets here. They can still appeal this for years. Like when TiVo sued the other DVR owners and won, took over 10 years to actually get through all the appeals and get some money.
    --------------------------------------
    Cheez\/\/iz
    Omni Backer #40!
    Rift Backer #2,770 (That was a good one!)
    Middle Tennessee
    --------------------------------------
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 205
    sutekiB said:

it's been a little over a month and you are still radio silent on the DIY gun as well as the STL files for the Omni Harness please help us poor common folk out with some links to these sweet files ^.^
    RABID said:
    good find bro ! , but 230$ for a plastic mount , they are out of their minds ! I would prefer waiting for StrikerVR to come it and buy it , even if it was more expensive.
    Intel 6950X @ 4.4Ghz
    64GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
    Samsung M.2 960 PRO 1TB
    they have a cheaper version in black
    http://www.magp90.com/product/en/list/product-1.html
    RABID said:

they have a cheaper version in black
    http://www.magp90.com/product/en/list/product-1.html

199$ still expensive for a pc of plastic if you ask me , hopefully strikerVR comes out soon.
    Intel 6950X @ 4.4Ghz
    64GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
    Samsung M.2 960 PRO 1TB