User guides for Skyrim and GTA V

I followed all the steps in the Skyrim Quick Guide, up until step 15 where it says to use XPadder (which costs $10, btw), to open the files - Skyrim Xbox360 profile.xpadder, Omni Layout.xpadder, and Omni profile.xpadder - included in the game packet download. Then turn on the gamepad, and load the layout and profile. so my questions are....

1. Assuming they mean for me to Save the layout I just opened as a file, how exactly do I load that file into my gamepad?
2. Is the purpose of this to configure the Omni with the gamepad thumb stick instead of the keyboard? Is one more accurate than the other?

If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please let me know.

P.S. Also followed the Quick guide for GTA V, but the game isn't responding to the Omni. Could this be because of the Vive mod from Grandtheftvr.com?

Comments

• hafnerhafner Posts: 5
    I've not setup Skyrim yet but in general you don't have to use xPadder if you really don't want to. That software just allows you to customize an Xbox controller to act as a keyboard input device. If the game supports your controller natively you can use it that way too (without buying xPadder) But if you use it that way you can't set up custom keybindings on the controller for VorpX commands as those keys are not bindable using the in-game controller keybinding UI.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,040
    edited March 2
    @lipplog

1) The Xpadder profiles and layouts are complete files, you only need to save them if you make changes to them. You just have to load them into Xpadder using the two file-browsing icons, one on the left and one on the right hand side of the UI. There is a tab for each compatible device. You need to load the appropriate layout and profile for each device. You can ensure you have the right one by turning these devices on one at a time, or by testing the inputs which will light up the on-screen buttons in the UI of the tab you have open. You may like to familiarise yourself with Xpadder by looking up some video tutorials on YouTube.

2) No, I recommend you use the Omni in Keyboard mode; the purpose of Xpadder is to map keyboard keys to an Xbox gamepad so that you can play the game using its Keyboard keybindings - you need to de-select 'gamepad' in Skyrim's options, or it won't accept these inputs (unless you have a mod installed that allows both). As @hafner says, you also need Xpadder to map the VorpX commands to the gamepad buttons. I've already done this for you... but...

Please be aware that if you are using the most recent version of VorpX, there have been some changes that, while they improve the experience tremendously, I believe they have made one of the keybindings in my Xpadder profile and Steam Controller profile redundant. This is the 're-center positional tracking' binding. VorpX now seems to be doing this automatically (perhaps only if you enable the direct-head tracking feature, I'm not sure - I need to do some more testing). This doesn't break the game, but you will get an annoying message (something like 'head-tracking re-centered') every time you use edge-peek mode - which you will use a lot in Skyrim. To resolve this quickly, you can just change the keybinding in VorpX from the key I specify in the guide to a key that isn't being used (but just remember that you did that in case you want to change it back for another game), or go into Xpadder and find the key binding and delete that specific key from the profile. I will be confirming this in a Skyrim-devoted thread in the compatible games topic soon.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • lipploglipplog Posts: 42
    Thanks, guys! Last question. I'm using the Vive controllers to play Skyrim, but there doesn't seem to be a button for sheathing and unsheathing your weapon. Is that something I need the xpadder to fix? Or am I just missing the right button?
    @lipplog Ah, the Vive controller support in VorpX is new - it came out after I wrote the guide, so I don't know. If you're using the Vive controller then you would map the action in VorpX - you would not use Xpadder, which can't bind keys to the Vive controller.
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 202
    If you guys wanna really have fun with Skyrim then don't use a Xbox controller... you can map a Wii remote and motion tracking which will allow you to simulate a Sword in one hand and shield in the other. You can map the motions if you are so inclined or just use the controllers for a better feel, I like the motion mapping as I feel more immersed using them as a sword and shield and for my bow, just wish it was a 1:1 on motion like a true VR game but until we have a VR port or mod I don't see that happening... there might even be a mod that does that already which I missed. I personally use Wii remotes with motion mapping for actions like attacking and VoiceAttack (for shouts, spells and some help navigating UI menus from time to time) in my skyrim play which i find very enjoyable ^.^
    I prefer the Steam Controller personally. My concern with the Wii-remotes is that melee attacks have FCAs (forced camera animations) which could trigger sim-sickness - that's why I use magic attacks exclusively.
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 202
    sutekiB said:

I prefer the Steam Controller personally. My concern with the Wii-remotes is that melee attacks have FCAs (forced camera animations) which could trigger sim-sickness - that's why I use magic attacks exclusively.

Ya the forced animation that the sword swing does is kind of a pain but as long as you map the remote to attack using the same motion as the sword swing then it doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I'm hoping someone will make or find a mod to put the game into a almost full VR feel. also really hope that @admin is talking to Bethesda about Omni Support for Fallout4 VR (coming soon) and talking to the Dev's for RE7 VR that vive will be seeing at the end of the year.