People selling their kickstarter backer pre-orders on Ebay

Is this something Virtuix will honor? How would you do that? Also, some have stated that they are something like 4th or 10th in line. How can this be verified? Don't want to bid on something that isn't coming for another 2 or 3 years.

Comments

• XainXain Posts: 87
    They are lying as backer number 40 @CheezWiz has already gotten their Omni. I believe they have delievered to at least 300 backers so unless they physically have the Omni its a scam. Also they do not condone the selling of Omnis as someone on the forums wanted to cancel their preorder and I said I'd take it off their hands instead. Admin responded and was like, 'Bad Xain, don't do that.' Seeing as I already have an Omni preorder I don't mind as much, I just wanted another one for the family.

http://forum.virtuix.com/discussion/2948/want-to-cancel-pre-order-no-response-from-support#latest
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,009
    @MAYAman I would discourage buying an Omni from a re-seller. Even if they present what appears to be some document of authenticity, they may have their order cancelled - and you could still lose your money. Orders will likely not have their shipping address changed to a new owner, so there would be additional shipping charges involved (and these are considerable, given the weight and dimensions of the package). Support is also non-transferable, so you would not have the warranty.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • MAYAmanMAYAman Posts: 5
    Hmmmmm,

I find this particularly troubling that the warranty wouldn't be transferred? That sounds ridiculous. What does Virtuix care if its still the same code used for the kickstarter campaign.
    The shipping charges would be the shipping charges regardless of who receives it, I"m prepared to pay shipping charges. The seller states he's only selling his place in line with the code given him by Virtuix.
    I don't understand what the problem would be to transfer ownership. I have contacted this individual and gotten his address, business name *verified, and his home phone and cell phone. Also, Paypal and Ebay policy protects me as far as him selling something he doesn't have.
    I have also heard of other kickstarters selling their codes and Virtuix has indeed transferred ownership. Is this not accurate?
    Hi @MAYAman I advise against it because it creates the potential for a lot to go wrong. How do you know the coupon hasn't been used? If it has been used, you may have an agreement with this person, but the Omni may have to be shipped to their premises first, and then shipped to yours. Then, either each of you is paying one part of the shipping, or one of you is paying both parts. What if something happens to the Omni during the second delivery? The warranty is not transferred because Virtuix does not want to encourage a secondary market - where many Omni owners are re-selling their hardware again and again for ever increasing amounts. Either the warranty would have to keep being replenished (which makes no sense) or it would run out anyway. It's possible that codes have been transferred, but Virtuix has never condoned this practice. Re-selling has always been against the published T&C.
    Im not trying to bash Virtuix as a company here and I sort of understand where they are comming from even if I hate it. Think of it this way, all kickstarter orders and quite a few preorders are being sold at a huge loss. I myself preordered my Omni for 450, and if I am correct the new price is around 1k, that is if you were able to purchase it still. So thats me getting an Omni at half price! I wanna say some early bird kickstarters were able to get theres for 250-350, so they are getting an Omni at a fourth of the price! Then take into account that ebay sellers are going to hike up the price as it is no longer being sold AND if it was it would be for 1k if I were Virtuix I would first be pissed and secondly rather it be cancled so as not to lose money.

Honestly if Virtuix would allow it, when someone cancels their kickstarter/preorder have the option to let someone buy that slot for the full Omni price. That way the original buyer is refunded, Virtuix is then able to sell that Omni full price to someone and the buyer who bought the full price Omni gets a warranty and everything. I'd do it.
  • MAYAmanMAYAman Posts: 5
    Sorry just not agreeing with any of this. I'm not going to buy it but I had a great deal at $500
    All this has left a bad taste. Just release the thing already, at this rate it will be 2020 before anyone can buy one again and developers will have moved on. Frustrated!
  • zacki78zacki78 Posts: 1
    So how much the Omni going for right now ?
    Anybody knows ?
  • AdminoAdmino Posts: 38
    zacki78 said:

So how much the Omni going for right now ?
    Anybody knows ?

It's been a while since I last checked these forum. Being an ex-international backer there's obvoiusly not much incentive to stay involved here.
    The last time I checked, a single unit was going for around 6k-7k USD (as far as I recall) from Virtuix's distribution partner in Asia. That was a while ago though.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 27
    I wouldn't sell a preorder for less than 4k, esp. if a unit has arrived. There's no real competitor to the product, there's a long lead time (we don't even know how long!), and there's no other way to acquire one. Plus I don't believe they're going to sell to consumers for a while, so the only way to acquire an Omni will be to get it as a commercial buyer, or through someone that was a kickstarter (and eventually, hopefully a preorder) here in the US. I'm not cancelling my order because Virtuix is making the Omni a gold mine. I only wished I'd bought more of them at 500
    I can't get behind that logic, its stupid and full of greed. I bought an Omni to have fun, not make money off of some poor person who can't get one now. Honestly the entire idea is asshole-ish.
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 155
    Xain said:

I can't get behind that logic, its stupid and full of greed. I bought an Omni to have fun, not make money off of some poor person who can't get one now. Honestly the entire idea is asshole-ish.

It's mixed to be honest. You make money and someone that had zero chance of getting one now has one. it's a win win to be honest. I won't sell mine cause I really enjoy it so far but still a win win if you were to, except for the fact that now you wouldn't have one haha.
  • WombatcaveWombatcave Posts: 17
    Virtuix kinda put the market in a bad spot. I have had several people come over and try the Omni and they all had a blast and want to buy one, however, the only people getting one will be us Kickstarters. My friends wife who never plays games really wanted one as she is a runner, and with recently having a baby she hates running on a treadmill inside. Running through a game, or even google earth blew her mind, she had a blast. There are so many applications for this, but the scope will be limited for the next couple of years. Will be interesting to see where the consumers take the market.
    Virtuix Omni - Mar.11 | HTC Vive | Oculus Rift | Logitech G25 | Saitek X52 PRO |
    I7 3820 16 gig RAM GTX 970 250gb SSD
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7C5YMGM4Bg
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vrcave/
    edited March 20

Virtuix kinda put the market in a bad spot. I have had several people come over and try the Omni and they all had a blast and want to buy one, however, the only people getting one will be us Kickstarters. My friends wife who never plays games really wanted one as she is a runner, and with recently having a baby she hates running on a treadmill inside. Running through a game, or even google earth blew her mind, she had a blast. There are so many applications for this, but the scope will be limited for the next couple of years. Will be interesting to see where the consumers take the market.

Well I mean there are quite a lot of pre-orders as well so it won't be just kickstart backers but they really need to reopen consumer purchase. Virtuix did say after all the pre-orders have received their units they MIGHT reopen consumer sells didn't they (i could be wrong)? It would be 100% retarded for them not to as that will be the real market that will promote the Omni. They have this backward thinking idea that Arcades are the big money market and that most dev's will back them for arcade support (which most if not all AAA game devs don't give 2 s**** about since there isn't any real money for them there lol) . However if you have read any of my posts in the compatible game list section you'll see that out of around 15 dev's I've spoken to, most of them have no interest in adding in the SDK to their game as there is not a big enough consumer base to warrant caring about it. To increase SDK implementation they need to increase the consumer base. Same reason Valve isn't adding a Omni button in the input section... consumer base is too small to warrant them caring.
    Its not assholish at all. Its how markets work. If i buy something to enjoy it, but its value skyrockets 500% due to high demand, then that value may go well over the enjoyment value. I like my occulus, but if someone offers me 3 grand for it its gone. Not everyone has the money to play idealist. The fact that Virtuix has gotten out of the consumer game at this point, turned on foreign backers, and is shipping to commercials before fufilling ks backers makes me not feel bad at all if I auction mine off. Arcades in the US are dead...Ive looked into starting one several times. The only way to make money is via selling alchohol.

Since everything else besides China is gone, then the only market that is going to make games is likely chinese. Try some of thier VR experiences...top notch.

So yeah, Virtuix as a company hasnt gotten shipping, manufacturing, deliveries, or global support right. But we are supposed to trust that theyre going to have developer support because they bet on a commercial entity that hasnt existed since the late 80s ina successful booming fashion in the US.

Sorry, but this company will be dust in a few years
    edited March 21
    The money to play idealist? Really? I'm just not hurting for money or lost faith like it seems you have. Moreover your argument of selling your Rift if someone offers you 3k is invalid as its:
    A.) Still in production.
    B.) Even if it wasn't there are alternatives out and move comming out.
    C.) Hope against hope that someone was stupid enough to make that transaction you would just be able to buy another Rift and pocket the extra.

I highly doubt Virtuix will just go up in flames and disappear and as long as programs like Vorpx exist and fellow programmers who manage to make their own better emulation software then Virtuix flopping or not does not even matter. If I happen to somehow loose interest in this then it will either go in the closet or loaned to a friend as once its gone I can't get it back (without coming out of pocket to buy the 5k arcade Omni) and again; I'm sure I'll have more fun with my Omni then making 500-1k profit from selling it.

But please, go on and sell your Omni as you obviously have more knowledge about the future than me, surely the Omni will be dead. I will be an idiot for buying and using a device that will have no support and you will be the wiser for fobbing it off to some hapless chap who still saw something in this company.
    Inplayed with it in vegas before the fashion show location shut down. They couldnt keep the two units they had working. I paid to play it..no line, and while there were people watching me flail around (first use wasnt so intuitive) noone followed up. So its not about knowing the future. Its about observations. I dont know where your data comes from to think this will be anything other than a failure. They cant even keep thier social sites updated.

Damn you fanboys get mad easy though.
    Joe said:

its not about knowing the future. Its about observations.

I agree with this statement Joe. You can judge future success or failure based on observations. You can also use those observations to make changes, and thereby alter the outcome. We're all working hard to continually improve. It's normal to have a rough start, but we believe those rough edges will soon be smoothed out.
    Xain said:

The money to play idealist? Really? I'm just not hurting for money or lost faith like it seems you have. Moreover your argument of selling your Rift if someone offers you 3k is invalid as its:
    A.) Still in production.
    B.) Even if it wasn't there are alternatives out and move comming out.
    C.) Hope against hope that someone was stupid enough to make that transaction you would just be able to buy another Rift and pocket the extra.

You can buy an Omni as a consumer through Hero still it's just pricey. Sell you's for higher price and then buy it back cheaper. Shoot I sold my Oculus DK1 for $900 and turned around and bought a Vive LOL!
    His point about support is pretty valid most of the bigger better dev's have no interest in including the SDK unless compensated to do so. There are smaller dev's making content for it like the devs of VRZ Torment thankfully :D hopefully Virtuix steps up their game on talking to devs since so far most of the devs I've spoken to have been less than excited about the idea of the SDK.
    Xain said:

fellow programmers who manage to make their own better emulation software then Virtuix flopping or not does not even matter.

problem is a majority of the community that normally does this are in the EU and as you may know, they have no interest is doing this or supporting the Omni any the whole "hey we really don't want to deal with you sooo k bye" international shipping fiasco that happened.
    sutekiB said:

We're all working hard to continually improve. It's normal to have a rough start, but we believe those rough edges will soon be smoothed out.

Awesome, keep up the good work Virtuix, hopefully ya'll manage to fix the Omni's 3 current short comings.
    1.) Vive emulation.
    2.) binding software to solve the 3rd controller issue with some steam games.
    3.) once pre-orders are complete re-open consumer sales where the real market, popularity, and dev support come from. (or at least give the public a "hey this is a thing that WILL happen" :P )
    Also see the vive and touch emulation thread in omni suggestions. The attitude on the software sode seems to be 'please use the sdk...community (all uh...thousand of you...who btw havent made a splash on reddit, youtube, or any social media site) please convince devs to use the sdk. They can't/aren't fixing issues such as having the omni emulate the joystick on the touch controllers. I'm perturbed by this because as much of a problem the hardware side of virtuix is having, you would hope for stellar software support at least.

At this point I'm just glad I can code...maybe Ill hang onto the omni as a devkit and sell the hell out of some stuff