Full 360 body movement not just walking running better than KATWALK

AscensiAscensi Posts: 119
edited August 2015 in Omni Suggestions
I tried to offer an idea like this before to you Virtuix with an NDA and now someone is getting close to it -as you recently posted about the KatWalk https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/katvr/kat-walk-a-new-virtual-reality-locomotion-device this is VERY close to my design but I believe if you saw it you would agree that it still beats it and offers a GAME CHANGER -pun intended (new feedback and gaming mode unlike any gaming treadmill system to date). It would offer the ability of no ring support just like the Katwalk, be more stable than shown in their video, would allow taller people, higher jumping, more body clearance, an ideal place for an HMD after use. You've seen that their system can be stable without the ring.. I just need some help/partnership getting it going.

Comments

• AscensiAscensi Posts: 119
    edited August 2015
    I forgot to mention that it is future proof - it can also allow a person to lay flat on a bigger system, & more.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    I really like how the katwalk system has a much more open design, not having a support ring and all. However think the katwalk system has two major flaws.
    1. Without a proper slip ring built into the support rod the cable will become wrapped around the support rod very quickly. They say the cord can get wrapped around 30 times before it becomes and issue. To be blunt i don't believe that. Its one thing to have the cable twist, like a corded phone, if anyone still remembers those, it can get twisted quite a bit before it becomes annoying and you need to untwist it. Wrapping around something, like the support rod, shortens the cable each time by a surprising amount. If we assume the support rod is 1" in diameter than each time you wrap the cable around it will shorten by a little over 3" so at 30 wraparounds that's 90" or 7.5' of slack you will need. thats a lot of slack.
    2. Cost. I can't see them getting the cost of this thing down to anywhere near what a consumer would be willing to pay. I think at $700 the omni is priced right at about the max the people would be willing to spend, maybe even a little higher than that. I think the Virtualizer priced at $1200 will just not sell nearly enough to sustain a business. This is regardless of how much better or worse the Virtualizer is. (Substantially worse in my opinion). I dont see the katwalk consumer version selling for anything less than $2000. Hydraulics are EXPENSIVE. Even if they do away with the hydraulics the materials alone to make a boom like that, that can not only support a human but a human that is falling over will not be cheap.
    I forgot to mention that it is future proof - it can also allow a person to lay flat on a bigger system, & more.
    "future proof" is a dubious term that should never be used. Its like "real time" in that aspect. How could a person lay flat on the ground? You could never detach the dish you walk in, it would probably topple over under its own weight let alone with a human attached to it. That has nothing to do with how they design it that's just how physics work. Unless you bolt the thing to the floor that is. Besides the tower would get in your way anyways. You would also have to make it so the support rod could reach the floor, meaning it would have to be as tall as the tower so when you where standing up it would extend above the tower about half the height of the tower.

Anyways like I said, I really like the open design but I think it has too many issues because of that open design and I just don't see it happening. But I wish them the best of luck and hope they can overcome these issues.
    edited August 2015
    The Future proof part I elaborated on a bit. I don't worry much any more about the cable twist issue.. wireless is coming.. I looked into just about every issue that could arise such as free swivelling HDMI cables and other wireless adaptors options for the HDMI connection. The KatVR treadmill doesn't have full body & peripheral clearance as well. I have made a miniature prototype and it works as expected. My design doesn't need hydraulics, it's very simple in design and could be low as $200 to the consumer but not higher than $500 (the support system not the treadmill). I have worked out the issues you have spoken about and to me getting what I have designed is kind of like a emergency because if I don't get it out someone else will eventually and Virtuix could work with me on it if they are interested in expanding.. if another company provides a complete and affordable solution first then the company with original basic idea may not exist in the coming years. I would prefer to work with the company/person that started it than the others. I know it can be a struggle to do the years of research and perhaps barely get things off the ground then to have an explosion of companies sprouting up with a design similar to yours then perhaps losing it all to another/competition in a manner of speaking. Eventually I would like to see perhaps every home have a complete system for health, fun, education, communication etc so getting the price low enough for the consumer and stabilizing the business would be my focus/interest.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    Well if you have everything worked out you should start your own ODT company.
    wireless is coming
    And you are completely correct, However so is space tourism, flying cars, and neural implants to give us SaO like VR. However at this very moment in time we don't have any of that so I really don't care about any of it, or wireless HMD's. because in 5 months (or whenever it actually is) when I get my Vive (probably/hopefully) it will have wires sticking out of it that I will need to deal with. I am looking for the best possible VR experience I can get ahold of now. I am not looking to gambling on something that *might* work better with some future tech that does not yet exist.

As of right now I still think the Omni is the best of all the ODT. If one comes out that hands down beats the Omni I will be the first to back it.

I've been thinking about it for a while, I may just make it public domain so no company can own rights to it. If I can't get help to build it (I've tried) at least I can get recognition for it. For over a year people around me that are very capable of helping to build it didn't see the urgency when the situation was explained to them until a few days ago when I showed them a print out of the new Katwalk and my design and how fast treadmill and kickstarters for them are rising. Although this company might have patent right issues ahead they are selling ones similar to the virtualizer http://muev360.com/product/tred-v21/